These healthy eating tips will help you look and feel your best this spring and summer.
Feel great while managing your weight this season. Coupled with regular physical exercise, a nutritious diet is the best way to attain and maintain a healthy body weight.
Here are six ways you can eat smart this spring/summer.
- Eat only when you’re hungry. As in, your stomach’s growling. If you’re reaching for snacks before then, it means you’re A) bored; B) stressed-out; C) following someone else’s lead; or D) thirsty.Drop the chips, and either A) call a buddy; B) go for a short walk; C) chew some gum; or D) sip water or herbal tea instead.
- Up your fibre intake. A high-fibre diet can help to decrease hunger between meals and improve your general health. Choose whole-grain crackers, breads and cereals over white. Consume lots of vitamin-rich and tasty fresh fruit and veggies, to maximize your fibre intake.
- Practice portion control. Many restaurant meals are oversized, so eat until you’re almost full, then ask the server to wrap up your leftovers. At picnics and buffets, use small side plates, not dinner plates.
- Use meal-replacement products carefully. Always consult your doctor or Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist first.
- Get your H2O. Drink up: you’ll eat less, while feeling more alert. Eight glasses per day is a good goal.
- Ask for help. Peer support groups can be beneficial if you’re fighting an overeating habit. For those who want to learn how to eat better, many community centres offer free or low-cost nutrition and healthy-cooking classes.