Winter whips in, and we all pull on our parkas and boots and mittens and scarves. Most of our body gets wrapped in woolly warmth, but one very vulnerable body part gets too often left out in the cold – our lips!
Wind, sun, and cold, dry air can all cause our lips to crack and chap. Smooth, kissable lips require moisture they can hold onto.
- As with your skin, your lips will look smoother and healthier when you're drinking enough water.
- Slather on lip balm to lock in moisture, but resist the urge to lick your lips, a habit that can make lips even drier.
- Use oil-based creams or lip balms that contain beeswax or petrolatum. Choose a formula with softening ingredients like vitamin E or chamomile – and make sure it's in a flavour that won't tempt you to lick it all right off!
- Lip balms containing sunscreen can shield your lips from the winter sun when it reflects off the snow.
- On really extreme weather days, shield your lips from the wind by wearing a scarf, balaclava, or ski mask.
- Those with chronically chapped and painfully dry lips could try medicated balms that contain soothing ingredients like aloe, menthol, and camphor.
- If nothing seems to work, you may need to check with your doctor. There may be an underlying condition to consider.
All material copyright MediResource Inc. 1996 – 2018. Terms and conditions of use. The contents herein are for informational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Source: www.medbroadcast.com/healthfeature/gethealthfeature/How-to-Be-Winter-Wonderful