When the holidays come around, there’s nothing like a liquid metal red lip to shine brighter than all the tinsel in the room. To get the look, try a richly pigmented formula with the mirror-like shine of a gloss. And if you really want to turn up the heat, don’t forget dramatic mascara or a faux fringe. It’s haute red carpet beauty but with more fire!
1. The first step in a statement lip is creating a perfect base – the last thing you want is to have any kind of feathering underneath. During the winter months when lips are dry and cracked, start with a lip scrub and a wash cloth, and gently buff in a circular motion to help soften the area.
Try: LISE WATIER Sensational Kiss Lips Soft Exfoliating Balm.
2. Next, you’ll want to add some moisture. Use a lip primer to smooth over the entire surface.
Try: Stila Lush Lips Water Plumping Primer.
3. Now you’re ready for colour. Find a lipliner that closely matches your lipstick shade. For the season’s metallic glam lip, go for a vibrant crimson to trace along the perimeter of your lips.
4. For an even distribution of colour, choose a full-coverage liquid formula in metallic red and glide it on with a lip brush to ensure a more precise line, especially in the corners.
Try: Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Crimson Chrome.
5. Made a mistake? No worries! If you’ve drawn outside the lines or spot any rough edges, simply dip a cotton swab in micellar water and dab away at excess colour for a quick fix. Voilà, you’ve got glamorous metallic lips with chrome-quality shine!
6. Don’t forget the eyes! Choose a lash-fanning mascara and add more layers to the outer corners for a false lash-like effect. Or, go for full-on faux lashes, because if not during the holidays, then when?
Try: Stila Huge Extreme Lash Mascara and Quo false Lashes.