Why Heart Health is Important
Heart health is something that we should all know about because heart disease is one of the top three leading causes of death in Canada.
The good news is that many of the risk factors that cause these heart conditions can be reduced. You can improve your heart health by:
- maintaining a healthy weight, which can be achieved by eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly
- learning to deal with stress
- maintaining a healthy blood pressure
- controlling your blood cholesterol levels
- controlling your blood sugar levels
- limiting your alcohol consumption
- quitting smoking (if you smoke)
Common Heart Conditions
Heart conditions include heart attack (which occurs when the oxygen-containing blood supply to the heart is blocked, causing heart muscle cells to die), high blood pressure (your blood is pushing really hard against the inside of your arteries), angina (chest pain that appears when the muscle cells of the heart don't get enough blood to properly carry out their pumping function), arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm or beat), blood clots, and heart failure (when the heart is not able to pump blood normally).
Read more about heart health by clicking the links below.