Bug bites and insect bites often cause minor swelling, pain, redness, and itching. These reactions are considered mild, may last a few hours to a few days, and usually require only self-treatment at home.
For some people, a bug bite, insect bite, or sting can cause a more severe reaction, including:
- severe allergic reaction (symptoms include swelling of the lips, tongue, ears; hives; shock; trouble breathing or wheezing; nausea, diarrhea or stomach cramps)
- a large skin reaction at the site of the bite or sting
- skin infection
- toxic reaction
Read more about bug bites and insect bites by clicking on the links below.