Hearty Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- 4 tsp (20 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) roughly chopped cremini mushrooms (6 oz/180 g)
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chili powder
- 1 can (796 mL) PC Blue Menu Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (540 mL) PC Blue Menu 6 Bean Medley , drained and rinsed
- ½ cup (125 mL) PC Organics Quinoa
This vegetarian chili is the perfect way to make use of those common pantry staples and is family-friendly too! You could add extra vegetables that might need to be used up like diced bell pepper, zucchini or fresh or frozen spinach to incorporate even more fibre and nutrients. Or toss in a jar of tomato sauce to make it thicker and even more hearty and flavourful!
Double or triple the recipe and store any leftovers in the freezer for a quick, healthy and convenient meal throughout the week.
If you have children at home who are old enough to assist with meal prep, they can help by:
- Opening the cans
- Rinsing off the beans
- Washing the vegetables
- Dicing the vegetables (if age appropriate)
- Measuring out the ingredients
- Adding the ingredients to the saucepan
- Stirring the chili
- Setting the table
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook mushrooms and onions for 12 to 14 minutes, stirring often, or until golden. Stir in jalapeno and chili powder; cook 1 minute longer, stirring frequently. Stir in diced tomatoes and juices, beans, quinoa and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Serve garnished with PC Blue Menu Yogurt Spread and chopped fresh coriander, if desired.