International Outbound Travel COVID-19 Testing FAQs
Participating pharmacies can be found here
COVID-19 testing is available at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations for asymptomatic individuals who require a negative COVID-19 test in preparation for an upcoming international flight. Results are typically available within 48 hours. Cost is $199 plus tax.
† ®Air Canada and the Air Canada Maple Leaf logo are registered trademarks of Air Canada, used under permission.
Have questions? Read our FAQs for British Columbia:
- How do I know if I am eligible to be tested?
- You must be asymptomatic and meet the criteria for asymptomatic testing. Please refer to the criteria for your relevant province to confirm if you qualify for this COVID-19 test:
View eligibility criteria +
In order to be eligible for testing, you must:
- Have an upcoming international flight and can provide flight details as confirmation
- Be asymptomatic (you have no symptoms of COVID-19)*
- Have not been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19 within the past 14 days**
- Have not travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days***
- Have not been advised by Public Health that you may been in contact with someone who has COVID-19
- Have not previously tested positive for COVID-19
* Fever and/or chills, cough or barking cough (croup), shortness of breath, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, runny or stuffy/congested nose, decrease or loss of taste or smell, pink eye, headache, digestive issues like nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, muscle aches, extreme tiredness, falling down often.
** In the past 14 days, have not had close contact with someone who is confirmed as having COVID-19 and have not been notified by public health that you may have come in contact with someone who has COVID-19.
*** The exception is if you are enrolled in the International Border Testing Pilot Program.
- Where is testing available?
- Testing is available at select Shoppers Drug Mart locations. For a list of participating stores, please click here.
- How do I know what the testing requirements are for my destination?
- Requirements for travel are changing frequently and each destination is different. It is the responsibility of the passenger to check the entry requirements of their destination.
- Does this test comply with Hawaii’s pre-travel COVID-19 testing program?
- Yes. Shoppers Drug Mart has partnered with accredited labs that are approved by Canadian Air Carriers designated as Trusted Partners by the State of Hawaii. Please check https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/ to confirm if your airline is a Canadian Trusted Partner. Please note that this service can only be used if you are travelling to Hawaii with a Canadian Trusted Partner.
- When will I receive my results?
- Results will typically be available from the accredited testing lab within 48 hours.
- What is the fee for the COVID-19 test?
- The cost of the COVID-19 test is $199 plus applicable provincial tax. This test is not covered by the British Columbia Medical Services Plan; however, it may be covered under your private insurance. Please contact your benefits provider for more information.
- What type of test will be used?
- LifeLabs runs several different molecular COVID-19 testing technologies. The COVID-19 swab test is a polymerase chain reaction (PCR)/nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT), which tells you if you have COVID-19 at the time of the test. All the technologies LifeLabs runs are equivalent to the RT-PCR method. The test uses a sample collected from a person’s nose, using a non-invasive swab that goes approximately 1cm into the nostril. The test will not tell you if you had COVID-19 in the past. Please note: While we cannot guarantee your test will be run on a specific RT-PCR method, your results will indicate that your sample was analyzed with a methodology equivalent to an RT-PCR method. Please visit www.LifeLabs.com/FlyClear to learn more about the testing methodology used.
- How do I book an appointment?
- Please complete an online digital intake form and pay for your test through the accredited testing lab’s online portal. Once payment is complete, you will need to complete the appointment request form for the COVID-19 test. To complete the intake form, click here. To complete the appointment request form, click here.
- Where do I pay for my test?
- At this time, payments are only being accepted online through the accredited testing lab’s online portal.
- How many people can I book at a time?
- You can only book one person per appointment. If you are travelling with a group, such as your family, you can request sequential appointments (pending availability).
- How long will my appointment take?
- The appointment to collect the specimen for the COVID-19 PCR/NAAT swab test will take approximately 15-30 minutes.
- What do I need to bring to my appointment?
- Please bring a printed copy of the requisition form that was emailed to you by the accredited testing lab, along with your passport as proof of your identity.
- When should I arrive for my appointment?
- Please arrive no more than 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Please remember to bring a physical copy of your requisition form to your appointment.
- How can I cancel my appointment?
- Please call the location of the pharmacy that you booked your appointment directly and cancel.
- When do I need to notify the pharmacy to change or cancel my appointment?
- If you need to change or cancel your appointment, please call the pharmacy as soon as possible. Please note that a 24 hours notice is required for cancelling appointments.
- How will I receive my results?
- You will receive your results via email from the accredited testing lab. When you complete your digital intake form, you will be asked to provide your preferred email to receive the results.
- What do I do if I do not receive my results?
- If you have not received your results within 48 hours, please call the accredited testing lab at 1-877-404-0637 for more information.
- Does the accredited testing lab guarantee the 48-hour window?
- No, the accredited testing lab does not guarantee results within 48 hours; however, every effort is made to ensure results are delivered on time.
- If I do not receive my results within 48 hours, will I receive a refund for my test?
- Yes, the accredited testing lab will refund the amount which you paid for your test if they are unable to deliver a result within 48 hours after your sample collection. If you have questions regarding refunds, please contact the accredited testing lab directly by calling 1-877-404-0637 for more information.
- If my travel destination refuses me entry, will I be issued a refund?
- It is the responsibility of the passenger to check the entry requirements for their destination. If you have questions regarding refunds, please please contact the accredited testing lab by calling 1-877-404-0637 for more information.
- If my travel destination changes the entry requirements, is there a cancellation fee?
- Once the test has been administered, there are no refunds that will be issued on tests. If you have questions regarding refunds, please contact the accredited testing lab by calling 1-877-404-0637 for more information.