Curried Red Lentil Soup
- Ready in 55 min.
- Serves 6
- 1-¼ cups (300 mL) PC® Organics Red Lentils (about half 450 g-pkg)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1-½ cups (375 mL) diced onion
- 1-¼ cups (300 mL) diced carrots
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) minced ginger root
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mild yellow curry powder, preferably Madras
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse and drain lentils; set aside.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, carrots, salt and pepper for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, ginger and curry powder; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes or until spices are very fragrant and onions are tender.
- Stir in lentils; cook for 1 minute or until heated through. Pour in broth and 2 cups (500 mL) water, stirring to combine. Increase heat to medium-high; bring soup to a simmer then reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until lentils are very tender. Remove from heat.
- Blend using an immersion hand blender, or in batches using a standard blender, for 20 to 30 seconds or until soup is slightly creamy but still chunky. Stir in lime juice and coriander; serve garnished with additional coriander if desired.
- Calories 180 cal
- Fat 3 (of which 0.4 g is saturated) g
- Sodium 350 mg
- Carbohydrate 32 g
- Fibre 8 g
- Protein 11 g
- Very high in fibre
- Low in fat
- Low in saturated fat
- Excellent source of vitamin A
- Good source of iron