California Kale Salad Bowl
- Ready in 40 min.
- Serves 12
- 1 large shallot or half small onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) PC® Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 tbsp (32 mL) PC® New World EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) PC® Blue Menu® Italian Farro Precooked Spelt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) PC® New World EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pkg (142 g) PC® Organics Baby Kale
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
- Combine shallot, vinegar and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of the salt in large bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in Dijon and 2-½ tbsp (32 mL) oil; set aside.
- Bring 8 cups (2 L) water to a boil in large saucepan. Stir in Farro; return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain; let cool for 2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Stir into shallot mixture until cooled.
- Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil in same saucepan over medium heat. Cook leek, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic, pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir into Farro mixture until cooled.
- Toss in kale, carrots and sunflower seeds until combined.
- Calories 230 Cal
- Sodium 240 mg
- Carbohydrate 29 g
- Fibre 4 g
- Protein 5 g
- fat 11 g (of which 1.5 g is saturated)
- Low in saturated fat
- Source of Fibre